Thursday, August 11, 2011

A big book

I knew about 'Six Wives - The Queens of Henry VIII' through the seminar held by David Tang during the Hong Kong Book Fair 2011.  It was written by David Starkey and published in 2004.  I am reading this book through kindle.

The hard cover of this book has 880 pages.  It is quite a big book.  I am still at 7% of the kindle version, which is still talking about how the first queen, Catherine took her exhausted trip from Spain to England for the wedding ceremony, with Henry's brother, Arthur.

Royal stories are always captivating, as they usually consists of lust, politics, wealth, blood and darkness of human being.  Royal marriages, especially during the old time, were not about love of two persons but the alliance of power, or based on different kind of political reasons.  

Since I am still at the beginning of the book, I hope I can provide a full book review once I read the last page (not sure how long will stretch). However the first 7% of it tells me quite a lot about British history, and I can tell David Starkey is excellent in constructing each of the character in the book vividly based on those supposed to be boring historical facts.

No comments: