Saturday, April 08, 2006

Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind



Have just finished a marketing book - Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout. It brings a very precise message: in this overcommunicated society, the name of the new game is 'positioning'. This is not about what is the product, it is about how does it locate in the prospect's mind.

Positioning can sketch outside the economic regime. For example, a church, a politician, a country and even yourself need positioning.

What is the positioning of Hong Kong? Remember the slogan from Tourist Board? "Hong Kong - City of life"...

Well, if you ask me what is the first word come to my mind when I see this slogan, my answer is "doubt".

Isn't it? To get a good place in prospect's mind, the position should help you to differentiate from others. However, did Tourist Board assume that other cities are life-less and dumb?

Let me think about how to re-position the territory. Say, air pollution is something that tourists love (just an example, don't take it serious), and Hong Kong gets the pollution level that no other Asian cities can reach, we can promote the territory in this way: "Hong Kong - A Polluted Jungle!". Then the description could be: Wanna challenge your respiratory system? The visibility of Hong Kong can be less than 1m in almost 4 months a year, come and experience such special suffocated feeling....'

Well, I am just kidding. But I would recommend this book to you, especially for marketing people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading another book of thia author called "The Origin of Brands", let's exchange when I finish

S