Monday, December 05, 2005

Will I witness Universal Suffrage in Hong Kong one day?

The debate of Universal Suffrage had dominated both daily and political life in this Special Adminstrative Region recently. Yesterday it even reached the climax, around 100 thousands HongKongers in black stepped out and joined the demonstration on Hong Kong Island. I'm glad that I was one of the participants in this historical moment.

Despite of that I am pregnant, I am willing to take risk to join this peaceful match. Most demonstrators shared the same aspiration - to fight for the Universal Suffrage in 2007-2008. Actually I supposed there would only be a 10 -20 thousands of Hong Kong citizen joining the match, but it turned out 10 times of what I expected. (From the research by organizer, the number of participants even reached 250 thousands, but I trust the survey which is done by SCMP more). Two years ago, I joined the July 1st demonstration, my goal at that time was to fight against the Article 23, but I felt that all demonstrators had various aspirations. After number of troughs in and before 2003, including the Financial crisis, bird flu, Article 23 and SAR, some of the participants hoped to drag Mr. Tung from his position, others were fighting for a more fair society, parts of them simply wished to express their anger about the economic downturn since the handover in 1997. However, yesterday, I felt that most of the demonstrators were fighting for democracy and freedom, which was quite different that the marches in last 2 years, you know, we seldom do one thing which does not relate to money and economic development together.

Many parents brought their kids to join the protest, they expressed that they did this for the next generation's sake.

The former Chief Secretary Ms. Anson Chan also joined the demonstration yesterday and which was her first time. I think she is really smart as her appearence drew lot of attention from International Media.

And I also met a group called 'Internation Action' which was formed by a group of 'gwai-los', oversea Chinese, local 'gingers' and Asians in Hong Kong who believed they are part of Hong Kong and would like to contribute the the society. You could visit their website at www.thebiggerpicture.hk.

Through the way, I found people from differnt age groups, from infants to eldery. Many senior citizen over 80 joined the match, I met an old lady who is 92. Isn't it impressive?

Frankly speaking, I have no expectation that we can achieve the Universal Suffrage within this 10 years, but at least I tried. In these few years, I learnt one important thing - Freedom is not free. At least I had tried and I had no regret.

Meanwhile I am listening 'All you need is love' by beatles...

No comments: