Wednesday, July 04, 2007

1997-2007

Everyone is talking about the past 10 years.

From 1997-2007, Hong Kong experienced the huge change after its handover to the People's Republic of China. We had gone through many troughs in the first 8 years, and getting better in these two years, in terms of economic situation.

How about the degree of autonomy? How about the path to democracy?

I was a kid when Hong Kong was facing the fear towards the reunification with the mainland China before 1997. Friends from more affluent families migrated to other countries. For people who stay in Hong Kong, they used to say what they need is just prosperity and stability, it is not a big deal whether they have freedom of democracy or not. I somehow agreed with the adults at that moment (because I was young and not strong in independent thinking), What I worried at that time was whether I could still read Garfield comics or not.

However, when I grew bigger, my mind changed. I started to feel it is unfair to deprive one's freedom, no matter how much you give me and how stable the society is.

I am so happy to see the public is also changing in these few years, they do not merely care about money, but they go to the street to fight for freedom and autonomy, to fight for the geniue treasure.

I hope it can keep going.

No comments: