Friday, July 13, 2007

Agnes S in Italy

My cousin Agnes S is having a 3-week design related course in Italy.

I just got her email. She said the trip is really expensive and some classmates are irritating. Despite all these, I am sure she enjoyed the tour and the study a lot.

Last time she mentioned one of the activities of this course is to visit Prada factory. However, Prada cancelled it finally with an explanation provided 'We do not want China People to visit our factory'.

Well, Agnes didn't have a strong feeling on this, because she doesn't like Prada neither.

When I heard about this, I will think, well, whom we can blame? Who spoiled our reputation in the international world? Ourselves!! Don't forget we are really part of the Mainland China and we can hardly distinguished ourselves as HongKongneses but not Chinese.

And, sometimes HongKongeses also do somethings embarrassed ourselves in the public. For example, speak very loudly, listen to mobile phone during shows, brands obsessed, etc.

This is a controversial social/national identity issue, would talk about it more if I have time.

Hope our nation will improve and sweep away the label of 'copy-cat' in foreseeable future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glo,

I can't agree more, REALLY!!!!!!
Especially on the note "speak loudly, brand obsessed etc."

As you know, last night I went for Harry Potter in PP, it was a FULL house and it has about half of the audience are non-HK. There were absolutely no gossiping and no phones during the whole process!!!! It was such an enjoyable experience after countless torture that I have in some other cinemas.

We all need to learn how to behave ourselves in Public. If we want the respect from others, do respect yourself and the others first