Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Mars and Venus

I read a book called 'Baby on the way' to my two boys.


Don't get me wrong, I have NO baby on the way.  I just thought this book was fun.


The story is about a typical family with two children, an expected mommy and a daddy.  Mommy's belly was growing day by day also the love around them.  One day, mommy's tummy got as hard as a ball caused by contraction, dad sent mom to hospital.  At last, an angelic baby came out, the whole family was busy yet joyful.


I gave them a brief explanation about the laboring and delivery of a baby.  I told them the tremendous pain that I had experienced during the process.


'That's why, you should respect women, for the role they play in the mankind.'  I said.


The boys nodded, I'm sure they know what I mean.


When I was a teenage, I was a believer of feminism.  I dreamed I would be a career woman one day (and if anyone from the opposite gender who tried to hinder my career path as I was a woman, I would have inserted my high heels into his eye sockets), marriage and kid free, and burning bras (if it was really necessary to make a dramatic effect).  Of course, all these were just my silly imaginations.  Bras, in fact, are expensive! 


When I reached twenties, I started being skeptical to feminism, I doubt the idea of 'women don't need men', women need men as men need women, we are all living together in a group, socially and biologically.  Women can be as smart as men without sacrificing their femininity, men can also be gentle at the same time embracing their masculinity.  Since then, I looked for gender equality, I looked for mutual respect between men and women.


Being a mother, I have an obligation to educate my kids about this.





No comments: