Friday, June 17, 2005

Customer Loyalty – about beautifying yourself

Don’t know why skin care/cosmetic brands hardly develop customer loyalty among Asian customers. Is it because there are too many new choices and excitements bombarding them all the time?

I am quite a devotee of Clarins and Fancl, but I did not stick in any single product of these two brands more than two years. For example, I would shift using face cleansers within a single brand or among different brands – after finished the whole tube of Clarins facial cleanser for all skin type, then I will interest to use that Clarins grapefruit scent whitening facial bar, later on, I will go after Fancl cleansing powder. Currently, I am using Origins brightening facial cleaning cream. =P

Frankly, the consumption of cosmetic products is strongly influenced by advertising campaigns and those cross selling strategy. For example, I bought that Origins brightening facial cleaning cream just because I wanted to have a jar of Origins Modern Fiction face exfoliator; which print ad attracted me for awhile. So when I stepped in the store and decided to by Modern Fiction, I was influenced by the ‘stamp collecting’ policy’ – i.e. the shop assistant persuaded me that I could get one more stamp for extra $100 purchase, etc. Then I was convinced to try its facial cleanser which I planned to buy from other brands, say Clarins. As a typical customer, I feel that the whole strategy of ad campaign, cross selling and stamp collection is very successful. It surely could capture the ‘consumer surplus.

However, there is a hidden weakness behind. Supposingly those cross selling and stamp collecting policy aim to establish the customer loyalty. The more you bought from one brand then the more reward you could receive by the end of the year or by the time you get certain amount of stamps. Different brands offer various types of rewards, like offering VIP membership with benefit of 20% off of each time purchase, or redeeming products or cash coupon right after you get 10 stamps etc. However, I find that most ladies got at least 2 stamp collection cards from different brands in their wallets. And whenever there are any foreign brands or new products launche in Hong Kong, girls are gone crazy and rushed to try the products in the first hand.

Poorly the outcome of shifting skincare products frequently is having allergic skin, because you have to get used to different kind of products with totally different set of ingredients. Even though, girls are very adventurous of trying new things that supposed to make you more charming and radiant

1 comment:

Prudence said...

I must be a loyal customer of Fancl, I've used the daily lotion of Fancl for more than 2 years !
Yes, sometimes the 'stamp collecting policy' is quite successful, but I only collect stamp for the brand that I frequently used. Sometimes the sales lady may feel that I'm so strange because I refuse to open a 'stamp collection card' as I know that I can't meet their requirement to obtain the gift finally!