Monday, April 14, 2008

Book crossing

I am a book lover. If Jeff and I have our own flat one day, we wish to have a library, or at least a 'reading corner' - many bookshelves stand against the wall, a comfortable armchair, a classic reading light, a floral pattern tea set, some crayons and paper.....

Every time when I duck into a bookshop, I would feel uneasy not to buy any books, so you can imagine how many books in my house.

I always believe it is a waste if a book can be read by one person. For a fantastic book, it is deserved to travel across different people, to influence and inspire each individual. www.bookcrossing.com totally matches my wish. It is a worldwide organization, and aims to assist books crossing around the world. Its members can put a provided sticker with words such as "FREE BOOK! LOOK INSIDE!" or "I'M NOT LOST - PLEASE READ ME! DETAILS INSIDE!" on the book, and place it in the public area, the sticker could tell others it is a free book and they are welcome to bring it back home. The second reader can also release it once he/she finish, and then pass it on.

This is what book crossing means.

I have joined the group but I wonder if it can work in Hong Kong, given that people tend not to take anything on the ground except cash.

Anyway, I found one place in Hong Kong that providing a platform for book crossing - Mackie Kitchenhttp://kitchen.mackie.hk/venue-c.htm. I called the place, the girl told me actually there is just a little library with some books people left there, if I wish to, I could bring my book to place there and exchange one from the shelves....

Well, sounds not very impressive, but I wish to go anyway. I was planning to go in last few days but Lucas stuck to me like a magnet... I could hardly leave him behind...

No comments: