Thursday, September 15, 2005

Disneyland Hong Kong

The grand opening of Disneyland Hong Kong was on Sep 12, 2005. This is one of the most controversial 'developments' in Hong Kong in last decade.
Personally, I do not have the great enthusiasm towards this so-called dreamland. In 1999, when Walt Disney signed the agreement with Hong Kong government to build the fifth Disneyland in our territory, I wrote an essay called – ‘When Mickey and Minnie decided to migrate to Hong Kong – The environmental pollution problems caused by the construction of Disneyland’ for my Environmental Protection course of the Geography degree.
I did attach the negative feeling to Walt Disney since I worked on that essay (should be before, otherwise I would not pick a topic like this). After I flipped through a lot of related documents, I understood how the tremendous change of Penny Bay was. I also know well about the 'high efficiency' of those environmental evaluation which was implemented by the government to protect this orginally quite lovely seashore - they concluded that there were no severe destruction of the environment by the development. Not to mention I thoroughly understand how unfair the ‘treaty’signed between the government and the corporation was, and how helpless and ignorant of the public.
No offense but I don’t think geography or social science students are friendly in some ways.
For all those ungratefuk news about this dreamland in the recent weeks, for me it is expected, but just a bit too late to start the discussion.
When there are countless of kids over the world facing famine, war, plague and illiteracy, please do not advocate all those fake and coarse fantasy, and construct the so-called paradise by tones of money from rich parents and brainwash our offspring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.