Monday, April 30, 2007

Bourgeoisie English Freak

Many educated parents, especially those are bourgeoisie concern so much about their kid's English proficiency level. Fluent English is perceived as an essential tool to reach the higher steps in social ladder. For some of them, relatively, Chinese is not important, some of them even pretending they are Eurasians and avoid to speak Cantonese, such as when they want to complain about a waiter or civil service sectors.

To cater their need, I would like to translate a traditional Cantonese lullaby to English, and I would suggest those Kindergartens in Kowloon Tong to involve it in singing lessons. Guess what it is:

Turn, turn around,
Chrysanthemum garden,
Frying rice cake,
Sticky rice dough!
Ah Ma she asks me to see dragon boat,
I don't wanna see,
See chickens,
Chickens grow,
I bring them to sell,
How much I can get,
How many can be sold!!!

Sounds weird?? Yes! My friends, something is worth for us to respect and reserve - I mean our local and Chinese culture. Spending effort on English does not mean we should sarifice Chinese. The worst case is finally in the middle of no where......


P.S. I will show the Chinese version in the next entry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

我想問吓有無英文版"小小明"呀?!
我想佢英文好d law

Anthrokiki said...

It's easy:

Siu Ming, Siu Ming, Siu Siu Ming.
Up Up down down left left right right front front back back,
The train gets into the tunnel!!!!!

Dear parent anonymous, hope it helps your kid's English.

(Burst into laugh)