Thursday, March 20, 2008

a spot of bother


I am reading A spot of bother by Mark Haddon. I love it a lot. It is about 4 weirdos in a normal family.

The whole family falls into the places. George, the depressed father who discovers a sinister lesion on his hip. Jean, the wife who has extramarital affair with George's ex-colleague. Katie, who never has good relationship with her parents, a single mom. Jamie, a homosexual son who thinks he was born in a wrong family, a wrong place and a wrong body...

As Katie suddenly announces the is getting married, everyone in the family thinks she is going to marry a wrong person, the second time. However, this wedding pulls all of them back again in some sense.

I have yet known whether it is in positively or negatively way, because I am just in Pg. 80, but I just love the story. I call them as 'a normal family' because I think most families have some abnormalities.

Mark Haddon is also the author of 'the curious incident of the dog in the night-time', another outstanding novel filled with dark humours.

No comments: